Saturday, January 5, 2008

Group One: Nature


Nature:

When I was in the process of compiling the images for this task, I compiled images that I liked and could have a connection with and even make a comment on. Going in to selecting the pictures I did not have a notion as to what I was looking for, just choosing what I felt was right. After compiling the images, I organized them and it was almost clear as to the three groups of feeling and connection. Surprisingly.

The first group is that of nature. After looking at a lot of images and realizing my personal experiences, it was a pleasure to find designs that utilized the surrounding site. So many times a designer will completely modify the site to match the building. In a lot of ways I like the theory of having the challenge to design a building to flow with the site. It is almost to have a respect for the site and the surrounding nature.

In all of the images that were included in this group all of the designs have the appearance that none of the surrounding site was touched in the construction or design phases of these projects. The designs all flow with the surrounding terrain. The designs put the client/tourist/critic directly in the flow of nature. All of these experiences should be a consideration in design when possible.

The other fascinating aspect that I found between these images is that they are from different aspects of architecture. Two of the designs are residential, one is commercial, and the last is that of public interest.

Lets hope this is a good first stab and in the end clean it up a little.

5 comments:

MCS said...

Chad,
I love that you selected "nature" as a category. You hit the nail on the head when you said "I like the theory of having the challenge to design a building to flow with the site." You are right - it is difficult to incorporate buildings and structures into a natural landscape. Many designers have a hard time making that connection between the land and the structure. The elements you chose to represent "nature" were great examples. Have you ever seen this house: http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/24H_house_3.JPG
I dont really care for the design, but I think the designer did a fantastic job of incorporating the structure into the landscape in an almost whimsical way.

I enjoyed your presentation and look forward to reading the next sections!

jenny chang said...

Chad,
I completely agree with you in utilizing the surrounding site and and designing something that "flows with the terrain." I believe it somehow goes with one of my components as to what architecture means. I call it "defining"; building or city that is built on a piece of landscape that blends with its surrounding and flows right in without the feeling of disruption.

You did a wonderful presentation. Now, I need to redo mine. (I noticed I had trouble uploading my images and typing in the info. I guess I have to create an over jpeg of pics and text together. Thanks for giving me your unintentional idea). :o)

Melissa said...

Chad -
I love that you brought up the idea of the building fitting into the landscape. I couldn't agree more and I too, think its something a lot of designers miss! I'm hoping that with the emergence of the green movement that nature and site will become a much predominant factor.

MCS said...

Sorry about the link! Heres a shorter version:
http://tinyurl.com/2c3uyj

(You can go to a website called tinyurl.com to shrink website addresses)

Enjoy!

enno said...

Chad,

This is another collection of rich and evocative projects! Try to break down "nature" in finer categories and see how the projects relate to those - topography, vegetation, climate, materials, etc. This mode of thinking will allow us to better compare and discuss the projects and see in which specific corners meaning can crawl. It's also a useful way to eventually conceive and explain your own designs.

The overall theme of "fitting in" architecture in its context works great in conjunction with you "Illusion" collection because they can be regarded as defining a rich field of meaning and architectural expression.